I often get questions as follows;
– If you get married, who will be your makeup artist?
– How would you do your wedding? Very lavish or simple?- Where will you hold your wedding?
– What would you rather spend on your wedding?
– How do you take care of your skin and hair?
So I figured why not blog about this? This new category of #ifcleowereabride will give you an idea of how I feel wedding preparation should be like (beauty wise) and the little insider tips I sometimes hear from my brides. Of course, if you have been reading so far, you will know, I am still not married hence I am at your side just armed with alittle more information
Let’s start with the most alluring question and one that I get the most – Who will I choose to be my makeup artist?
Ah well, I am haven’t decided yet because – I haven’t done any makeup trials. You are right, I am fussy. It is no surprise because I am alittle vain and it happens to be my line of expertise. So what is my selection process?
First – The Rounding up of names
1. Referral by friends – They have been there, and I trust my friends.
2. Google is my best friend. I will research under “bridal makeup artist singapore” or visit websites that have accumulate a long list of makeup artists (mua) available.
Secondly – Portfolio
How do one determine if the makeup artist is good? There are many layers to this question
1. We judge by her taste and style – Does the looks she creates suit my taste? You might not like all the styles she/he created but majority of her works must be equally pleasing to the eye.
2. Techniques – How does the makeup look like on the brides? Does it stick on like a second skin? Are her features accentuated? How many different hairstyles can she create or she has a regular template hairstyle that she does for all brides?
3. Consistency – When I look through a mua’s portfolio, I will flip through her albums and I need to see consistency. Her brides should be all looking good. That shows her level of maturity in practice and style. Better still, if she provides many years of portfolio for reference, we can see how much she has grown through the years and determine if this mua is a keen learner and has been improving.
4. The last consideration is probably the hardest and also the main reason why you have to pay more for certain makeup artist. It will be the her ability to assess her different clients and bring forth their best features. No template makeup or hair. Does her hairstyle matches her face and her gown? Does this particular hairstyle make her face smaller? Does the bride still look like her but just a more beautiful her? At this point, you will be paying for the aesthetic talent of your makeup artist.
P.S: Let’s not mass email every makeup artist in Singapore ok?
Thirdly – Rates & Packages
This is pretty straight forward. Always ask for a black and white package details with rates quoted. I know my own package details doesn’t write down lashes and the little things – But its all stated in T&C so, Please pay attention to the TERMS & CONDITIONS! Every mua is different.
Personally, I prefer my brides to email me. You might not get a reply instantly but there is a record of your enquiry. Sometimes you talk to me on the phone, I will promptly forget or I will read your message and forget to answer (just coz I might be in middle of work)
Oh, and when you enquire, to get a fast response, do state the date of your wedding and if you are having a day & night or luncheon. If possible add in the time to be ready. We can just respond to you if we are available. No use coming to & fro if the mua is already booked right? Sometimes I don’t understand why some brides rather state “end of October”, wouldn’t the full date be faster?
Fourthly – Communicate with the makeup artist
I will pick 2 makeup artist that falls under my budget and schedule a makeup & hair trial with the one I like the most. You might ask, why do I want a makeup trial when I did not even offer makeup trial for my own brides? I like to trust my vendors completely. So, since I am so used to do my own makeup and have a SOP, I like to per-communciate with my mua on how we could combine what she thinks is best for me and what I like to have on me. It will be extremely hard for me to let go even on my wedding day. For hairstyling wise, since I cant do my own hair, I will be looking out at how she can make my balding forehead look good.
I always feel, we are so used to looking at ourselves in a way so when we have a professional, we should believe in her aesthetics and we will realize we can look prettier in many different ways.
My thoughts about choosing a makeup artist
It is important for me to trust the makeup artist I have chosen. Besides that, she must also have the ability to listen to my preferences.
My budget for makeup is very expansive. HAHAHA. Why? Because I want to feel comfortable and beautiful on that day. Even a slightest self consciousness will spoil my mood. Guys are always complaining to me, makeup is just twice a day and you wash it away – pictures are for life. Oookkkk, my face and hair in that picture is going to stare back at me for life and my kids are going to probably laugh at me if i look funny. Because to be honest, did you laugh at your mum’s pictures? I did but because of the “vintage style”. I remember when I was little, I flipped her pre-wedding album and wonder why my dad was taking pictures with a stranger. Her actual day makeup was so much better. My mum still complains about the makeup artist she had for her pre-wedding after 30 years. It matters.
I am starting to treat this blog as more of an information center rather than a portfolio sharing platform. I figured, if you wanna see my portfolio, head over to my facebook page or instagram. It will be easier. I am alittle slow to embrace Instagram even though I had an account just when it started. I am more of a words person. But to spring in a series of #whencleomakeups I am showcasing different makeup looks that you can consider either for daily work or for leisure. Do add me @cleochangmakeup
Creating my Signature Luminous look with a unique blend of Airbrush makeup.
Also saving eyebrows with 6D strokes embroidery.
Contact link below!